Thursday, March 8, 2012

Welcome to Remembering Our First Love Marriage Blog


For anyone who knows me personally, it doesn’t take long to figure out that I have a passion for healthy, God-centered marriage. Many couples see marriage as more of a social/secular arrangement than as a God-given covenant relationship.  Even many Christian marriages are in reality social/secular arrangements with Christian window-dressing (I don’t believe most couples want it to be that way; they’ve just never been shown there is a different way.)

The benefits of healthy marriages are numerous and well-documented; benefits for the individuals, for families, for churches, and for the larger communities in which the couples live.  Because of this, I have spent many years doing pre and post marital pastoral counseling, led and continue to lead marriage enrichment retreats and workshops, and wrote my doctoral dissertation on “A Vocational Theology of Marriage.”

As passionate as I am about marriage though, I fully recognize that the body of Christ is diverse, and it is wrong to champion marriage as the only God-ordained life.  But, facilitating healthy marriages is my passion and it is my Kingdom calling, and I am confident that I can fill that role while still honoring the unity of the body of Christ.

The goal of this blog is to help couples find a greater purpose in marriage.  Lord willing, through infrequent posts (hey, I know the reality of my schedule), I want to lead couples toward a joint purpose in God that transcends the couple just sharing of a home and a bed.  I want them to recognize marriage as a joint participation in the Kingdom of God that reclaims the concept of “one flesh.”

The post will offer actionable suggestions and questions and discussions meant to make you think about your marriage, your mate, you, and the role they all play in the Kingdom of God.  I hope you'll join me for this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment